About Me

About my taste: I tend to love a LOT of flavor. And spiciness. And cheese and tomato-based recipes. You may be seeing a lot of Italian food recipes. If it doesn't burst with flavor... I likely will not like it nor blog about it. Or if I do blog about it... I'll mention what I didn't like about it. lol. I don't like to make low-fat versions of things. I will not likely write notes about recipes about low fat versions unless it is requested of me. I'm not the savviest of cookers but I'm still learning :)

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Japanese Stir Fry

I know I haven't updated this blog in a ridiculous amount of time but I've been so busy! Yay me! Things I've done since my last blog update:
1. Got a full time job
2. Serious relationship things
3. Gallivanting all over creation... IRELAND, SCOTLAND AND THE ISLE OF MAN!! (oh, man! Gorgeous! I find myself still getting homesick even though I was only out of the states for 2 and a half weeks)
4. Moved across the town to a beautiful house/apartment with a lovely porch where I can grow fresh herbs and tomatoes!

Not really that many things when you think about it! But to me it seemed like a lot! Anyway, on to the actual cooking part of this blog!

My roommate, Brianna, is pretty awesome and is the originator of this recipe.  One day she threw together everything she had left in her cupboard for a Japanese-inspired stir fry!  She loved it so much she kept making it and one day made it for me!  I fell in love with it but
decided to add my own twist to it and here it is!  It's lovely for a meal for one (putting the left-overs in the fridge for a lunch to bring with me to work) or enough for two.

Total Time: Aprox. 15 minutes

1 bundle japanese udon noodles-dry
1 can (13.25 oz) of Mushroom pieces and stems (or equivalent of fresh cut up mini-bella mushrooms add half cup of water to compensate for liquid normally in can)
1 can (6.5 oz) chopped clams (you can substitute for more mushrooms if you TRY IT with the clams and don't enjoy them at all)
3 splashes Balsamic Vinegar
3 tsp olive oil
2 splashes of Worcestershire sauce
Sriracha to taste (a little goes a long way!)
salt and pepper to taste

serves 2

1. Boil water and add the Udon noodles, follow the package directions for the noodles
2. While waiting for the while to boil, add to a frying pan all other ingredients (including juice from the cans of mushrooms and clams) the idea is to let all of the flavors boil together as the liquid boils off and allows the flavors to be infused in the mushrooms and clams.
3. Once all is combined, turn the burner on high and set the timer for 11 minutes (this is for an electric stove top times may vary for gas stove tops)
4. Allow the mushroom mixture to boil, stirring often.
5. Once most of the liquid has boiled off either top off your noodles or set aside until the noodles are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment